6 Easy Ways to be More Productive!
Whether you own a business or you work for a company, being clear on what you want to accomplish is the key to your success. Our minds tend to take us in all directions at the same time. This is the reason we often find ourselves chasing after projects and not getting anything done. We need to focus and realize that when we are more relaxed and conscious of what we want to accomplish we actually get more done. It sounds strange and simple but taking the extra time to pause, will allow you more time to do the things you need and want to do. Below are 6 easy steps to being more productive.
1. Start - Just do it! We look at the goal line and not the steps in front of us. Take a small step towards what you want. Even if it seems minor, taking the action will get you started.
2. List - Write a list of things you need to do. When you see the list on paper, it becomes clear. Start with a daily plan, filling in each day with only 5 things to do. The key is not to overwhelm yourself.
3. Plan - The night before, prepare a list of 5 things you want to accomplish the next day. Start your day with quick easy things. This will allow you to spend more time on the larger projects throughout the day. The sense of accomplishment will make you want to continue.
4. Social Media – Don’t get sucked into the email/social media hole! Allow yourself one half hour to go through what you need to check on and then close out of the site. This will allow you to stay on top of email and connections but not consume your entire day.
5. Routine – Start with a healthy morning routine to get into a flow. Consider including exercise, a brief moment to pause and embrace positive feelings, a healthy breakfast and time to vision what you want your day to look like.
6. Breaks - Get up from your desk and take a few minutes to stand or walk in between projects. The break will give you the time to think about the new project with insight and clarity.
Remember, a sense of Structure with Ease Equals Productivity. Your long list of to do's will become manageable and you will feel confident to move forward.
You can also read this on SOTGC - Stiletto's on the Glass Ceiling. The Ultimate Resource for Women in Business.
You often read articles about the different qualities that define a great leader but rarely does the term conscience make the list. Why is that? According to Wikipedia the word conscience is described as “intuition, judgment that assists us in distinguishing right from wrong. It is the "voice within" and the "inner light", a sense of the quality of one’s character and conduct.”
Conscience is a character trait that is very important in leadership. Whether you are a leader at home or at the office, it is within each of us and the voice that calls us to be our best self. I suggest that when we look to become leaders in our life, that we include conscience along with the other leadership qualities: clarity, focus, creativity, courage and compassion.
With the New Year upon us, we always look for ways to improve ourselves. On the top of the list, we often list examining how we treat others and react in different situations. By being mindful and paying attention to our conscience or listening to the voice within, we can begin to experience better relationships at home and at work. Taking the time to pause and be in the moment, allows us to choose what we want to say and how we act. When we lean on our conscience we can respond to what our inner voice truly tells us to do.
Conscience is a tricky word, but it has been defined in the following ways by the leaders below.
“Conscience is that ability within me that attaches itself to the highest standard I know, and then continually reminds me of what that standard demands that I do.” ~ Oswald Chambers
“Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune. ”~ C.G Jung
Every human has four endowments - self awareness, conscience, independent will and creative imagination. These give us the ultimate human freedom… The power to choose, to respond, to change.” ~ Steven Covey
Are you looking to become a more effective leader at work or at home? By developing your leadership skills you can improve productivity, communication and decision making. Upstream Solutions offers leadership development webinars and workshops helping you to become a more effective leader and discovering your best self. Call Upstream Solutions today and sign up.
Also posted on SOTGC - Stiletto's on the Glass Ceiling. The Ultimate Resource for Women in Business.