Whether you own a business or you work for a company, being clear on what you want to accomplish is the key to your success. Our minds tend to take us in all directions at the same time. This is the reason we often find ourselves chasing after projects and not getting anything done. We need to focus and realize that when we are more relaxed and conscious of what we want to accomplish we actually get more done. It sounds strange and simple but taking the extra time to pause, will allow you more time to do the things you need and want to do. Below are 6 easy steps to being more productive.
1. Start - Just do it! We look at the goal line and not the steps in front of us. Take a small step towards what you want. Even if it seems minor, taking the action will get you started.
2. List - Write a list of things you need to do. When you see the list on paper, it becomes clear. Start with a daily plan, filling in each day with only 5 things to do. The key is not to overwhelm yourself.
3. Plan - The night before, prepare a list of 5 things you want to accomplish the next day. Start your day with quick easy things. This will allow you to spend more time on the larger projects throughout the day. The sense of accomplishment will make you want to continue.
4. Social Media – Don’t get sucked into the email/social media hole! Allow yourself one half hour to go through what you need to check on and then close out of the site. This will allow you to stay on top of email and connections but not consume your entire day.
5. Routine – Start with a healthy morning routine to get into a flow. Consider including exercise, a brief moment to pause and embrace positive feelings, a healthy breakfast and time to vision what you want your day to look like.
6. Breaks - Get up from your desk and take a few minutes to stand or walk in between projects. The break will give you the time to think about the new project with insight and clarity.
Remember, a sense of Structure with Ease Equals Productivity. Your long list of to do's will become manageable and you will feel confident to move forward.